Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ellen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Here we go again.

OK. Capital letters are BAD: firstly, they make it look like you are shouting. With spittle flying from your lips. And secondly, it's hard to read and is therefore rude. Capitals should be used at the start of sentences, for proper nouns, occasionally for emphasis and that's it. If you want to be treated seriously, type like a sane person. Really.

Love may or may not be forever. Alex and Ellen in their statement said they still care for each other. Relationships begin and end all the time. It's not the end of the world. Good for you and your relationship. But why judge someone else's relationship? Particularly when you do not know the people involved and have no idea what is going on. None whatsoever.

I don't worship Ellen. I think she is a great comedian. I happen to think that she is a grown woman. She can make her own decisions, and so can Alex.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Noone said you weren't. Some questioned why you came on here to make your views known, which is entirely appropriate.

I wasn't aware this was a club. Do I get a badge? Or a beret? Am I missing something? Does the person who mentioned the site to me get a toaster oven? I think I should be told.
    If you can't be a shining example, be a horrible warning...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

ok wow....there are some strong convictions throughout this thread. Iowa61 I'm a little concerned by the following statement:

"WE BOTH FEEL SHE HAS BROUGHT SHAME TO THE GAY/LESBIAN COMMUNITY"

Let's assume that Ellen did get freaky with Portia in a Porsche while they were both in "committed" relationships. Yes, this is wrong and when someone is in a relationship, they should not cheat. But to say that one incident as minor as this brings shame to an entire community?

Let me ask you this, what about the gays and lesbians out there who are hateful to heterolsexuals, or that stereotype all of us as "drug addicted flamboyant club hoping nymphomaniacs" and so on? I can think of several other things that people do that brings shame to the gay/lesbian community, of which an affair that may or may not have occured is not one.

As trixibelle stated, love may or may not be forever. When we are in a relationship, we all hope and feel that it will last forever. But it can happen that one day someone wakes up and realizes they are no longer in love with the person laying next to them. And to judge someone like this with such strong convictions when you know nothing about them other than what the media shows I feel is pretty wrong, but that is your decision to make.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well put, trixibelle. (I'd like my gift too, please :wink: )

iowa61, in case you were unaware, proper etiquette for the internet is to refrain from using all capital letters unless you want to "shout". Since one cannot hear what is being said, this is the way a shout is communicated. For those of us who are familiar with using the internet to communicate, the appearance of capitals is shouting! 8O

Of course opinions are free to give, and to give back. Remember, it's a two way street...
    Diehard Ellen fan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: REPLY

Quote Originally Posted by iowa61
    FIRST OF ALL,I LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS.I DIDNT THINK THAT WAS AGAINST THE LAW.
    Oh, it's not, it's just considered to be shouting and therefore inconsiderate and rude. You probably won't get an awful lot of overly polite replies as your uppercase comments are immediately hard on the eye.

SECOND OF ALL,I DIDNT CLAIM TO BE ONE OF YOU.
    Sorry, this is an Ellen fan club, it's a rather automatic assumption.

AND NUMBER THREE,I CANT BELIEVE HOW A PERSON CAN BE SO MUCH IN LOVE WITH SOME ONE THEN ALL THE SUDDEN WANT SOMEBODY ELSE.
    That is exactly why I believe there is far more to this story than is being reported. One thing we know now is that their relationship is over so we have to decide whether we are going to accept it and move on, understanding that only they know what really happened, or we can be angry or disappointed or try to say what "must" have happened or how they felt. I know which option I have chosen.

I DONT PLAN ON LEAVING THIS CLUB.
    Are you sure you are here for the right reasons?

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO MY OPINION.THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY,I CAN DO OR SAY WHAT I WANT.ALL OF YOU SEEM TO THINK YOU CAN AND YOU DO.KEEP THAT IN MIND NEXT TIME YOU PUT ME DOWN BECAUSE I APEAK MY THOUGHTS.
    Freedom comes hand in hand with responsibility. There are repercussions for every action, and just as you are "free" to express your opinion, so is everyone else here "free" to express their opinion about you. If you accept that you are free, you must accept that they are also free. If you say something that other people don't agree with, they have the "freedom" to say so. However while there may be a so-called free country, this is a website and freedom of speech does not apply. People can be and have been banned from time to time who have caused disruption. Maybe you should keep that in mind next time you wish to speak your thoughts.
    the things that keep us apart, keep me alive..
    the things that keep me alive, keep me alone.... (fink)

Ellen-Fan
    In the words of Robin Williams: "the whitest f***ing state in the union"...It's true.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maguyver
    iowa61, in case you were unaware, proper etiquette for the internet is to refrain from using all capital letters unless you want to "shout".
    Yep, it's true. I learned this in my Computer Applications class last year. There were some other rules, but i can't remember them. :roll:
    "No day but today"-Jonathon Larson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default same

So not following the rules makes me insane.Isnt that judging me.See you dont know who i am.If you want a toaster go join a contest.I have been put down ever since i put out my first post.I dont type or my opinion says something the rest of you dont want to hear.Yet if i said something great about Ellen,I wouldnt receive such remarkable replies.Putting me down doesnt really make you much better then you think i am.It actually puts you at the level you seem to think i am.No i dont know Ellen and i dont care to.I bet none of you do either.You dont have a clue what she is like any more then i do.I dont care if this is a group,club or whatever this is called.I did not find the humor in your put down.It seems to be okay for you or anybody else to put me down and not know who i am,but i dont have that right to state my opinion without being put down.Do any of you know me.It would be my guess,you dont.

melissa

Ellen-Fan
    Zeist, in a far away country called....Holland..
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yet if i said something great about Ellen,I wouldnt receive such remarkable replies.
    I don't think that's so strange, as this is a board created for Ellen fans, so people who admire her, so it isn't so strange if we don't want to hear all this negative stuff about Ellen.
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

"Be Strong, Speak True, and Spread the Peace"-MLE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: same

So not following the rules makes me insane.Isnt that judging me.See you dont know who i am.If you want a toaster go join a contest.I have been put down ever since i put out my first post.I dont type or my opinion says something the rest of you dont want to hear.Yet if i said something great about Ellen,I wouldnt receive such remarkable replies.Putting me down doesnt really make you much better then you think i am.It actually puts you at the level you seem to think i am.No i dont know Ellen and i dont care to.I bet none of you do either.You dont have a clue what she is like any more then i do.I dont care if this is a group,club or whatever this is called.I did not find the humor in your put down.It seems to be okay for you or anybody else to put me down and not know who i am,but i dont have that right to state my opinion without being put down.Do any of you know me.It would be my guess,you dont.

melissa
    You seem to have some kind of complex problem... And you have definitely made yourself sound unreasonable.... As far as your opinion you have made it clear and we all thank you for it!!! Now you can move on....
    Belacb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JetGrrl
    this is a website and freedom of speech does not apply
    Oops, I agree with you on a lot, but this one.....????
    Of course feeedom of speech also apply for forums and websites. However, people here are talking about a generally accepted internet etiquette. And they are right. There is a set of rules, although they are being applied by moderators differently all over the web.
    I think one should be careful in banning people too quickly. I do consider freedom of speech a great right to defend. And although this is a fansite, people should be able to express their opinion, even if that is not the general opinion of most fans. And even if this opinion is a negative one at times (with emphasis on "at times").
    However, freedom of speech comes with a responcibility.
    So, I also believe that people who are intentionally and repeatedly impolite, rude and/or abusive to others have no business calling on their right for freedom of speech.

No, iowa, not following the netiquette rules doesn't make you insane. But there's a chance that people might find you impolite. Especially if you want to persist in not following netiquette (but I see that you've done away with your capitals, so that's a start).
    When people don't agree with your opinions, they just don't agree with your opinions. That has nothing to do with wanting to attack you personally. And has nothing to do with netiquette rules either. It happens a lot in this (and other) forums that people don't agree with eachothers opinions, but then in the end they agree to dissagree. It seems to me that you yourself have great difficulties accepting that. Seeing how defensive you get when people don't agree with you.
    You did ventilate some strong opinions though. And it's only logical you'd get some strong opinions back. That's why this is called a forum. A forum is a place where people discuss things.
    People aren't trying to put anybody down for their opinions, nor are they usually feeling better than anybody else in this forum.
    But people respond badly to aggressive posts. And I can't blame them. Posters who don't have anything else to say but negative things are not highly appreciated either.
    So, like belacb already said: let's move on. Alright?
    Try to find your way around here and see if you can have some fun anyway, give your opinions and appreciate those of others.
    If you don't like Ellen anymore. Fine. But if that means you only want to post negative stuff here. Not fine. It's simply not functional and not fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: same

Ohh...Hi Melissa, its nice to see you again. :roll:

It seems to be okay for you or anybody else to put me down and not know who i am.
    Well, it seems to be okay for YOU to put our Ellen down, not knowing who she is. I really dont understand why you wonder about our reactions. Its only natural that we get sorta protective when someone makes such strong statements about her. I mean, what were you expecting? Did you truly believe that well turn our backs on Ellen and start to sypathize with you?
    OK...I must say, Ive gotten a bit rude the first time I replied to your post ops: therefore Id like to apologize. Seriously.
    I see Ellen means nothing to you, but to me (or us) is she an IDOL. Try to put yourself in our position. How would you feel and act, if someone made these kinda statements about your idol, huh?
    Fine...enough crap from me for now.
    Once again sorrrrry.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast