Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not 'bout Ellen, but I can use some help..

Ellen-Fan
    Zeist, in a far away country called....Holland..
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by missundaztood22
    Quote Originally Posted by laura123
    Quote Originally Posted by judo56
    The part that says:
    Up and down this road I go
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

It was taken from an old gospel song from the 60's about civil rights.
    Yeah I know that, by Ella Jenkins I thought, but what does she mean with that last sentence 'from a 44'??
    I think a 44 is a gun.
    Okay, that's a good possibility! But then I don't really get this last part. Skippin and dodgin from a 44 I have no clue what she means by this :roll:
    Does anybody get this???

And again, thanx for your replies!!
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

"Be Strong, Speak True, and Spread the Peace"-MLE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Dodgin bullets maybe?

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by missundaztood22
    Dodgin bullets maybe?
    yeah I guess this is what she means. So she's talking about the fact that people have to dodge from bullets all the time?? :?
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

an other question, on a website I read that the plane was heading to Camp David, but do they mean that it was just flying towards Camp David, or that the terrorists wanted to make it crash into Camp David??
    thanx!

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

never mind my last question, I already found the answer. Thanx again for y'all who helped!

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Today I had my presentation and I thought I'd let you know how it went!
    It went quite alright, although my voice was a bit shaky. Man I always have that when I've got to talk in front of an audience!! Well this is more or less what I said:

First of all I picked this song because Iím a big fan of Melissa Etheridge and I chose this particular song, because the lyrics are based on 9/11 and gay rights and I found this very interesting topics.
    The story behind this song is about a plane, flight 93, which was highjacked on 9/11. It was supposedly heading to Camp David, a residency originally built for President Roosevelt, but now itís used to hold congresses with foreign leaders. The hijackers wanted to make it crash into Camp David, but four brave passengers prevented that from happening. They made the plane crash in some field so none of the pople in the building they were heading to would die. They gave their lives cuz they wanted to save other peopleís live. One of these passengers, Mark Bingham, was gay and some people donít want to acknowledge him for what he did because of that.

*let them hear the song*

Now I had to explain the lines. I picked a few:

Up and down this road I go
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

This is part of a song from the 1960's during the civil rights movement. It was a very hard time for the US. Black people and their supporters were persecuted. What the line (the song is by a Civil Rights Gospel singer in the '60s, named Ella Jenkins) means is that the person is running away and trying not to get shot by a gun (a .44) This was discrimination and you could say that in some sorta way Mark (and other gay people) have to run, because people donít acknoledge them because of his sexuality.

In the fall of an American dream

I believe this also has double meaning. It happened in September, which was in the Fall, and also, the plane "fell", and Americans were no longer safe, so it was the 'fall'ing of an American dream.

On flight 93

This was the plane they were flying on

And he made his choice

Mark Bingham's choice was to fight the terrorists, and take down the plane knowing that he and everybody else would die. He did this in order to save MANY MORE lives.

In a field in Pensylvania

The field in Pennsylvania is the field where the plane crashed.

Wake up America
    It's Tuesday morning
    Come on let's roll

The event happened on a Tuesday morning. Also, Tuesday is the day of national elections, the day America should Wake Up and vote for people who can make a positive change.

I didn't get that much reactions to it, but a good friend came immediately over to me that she really liked the song and thought the lyrics were really powerful and she liked it!! So that was pretty okay..

I thought I was quite controversial by chosing this song, and I'm glad I was. Most people would chose a song by Jennifer Lopez or Pink, but I choose one no-one knew. And a while a go I came out to my best friend and I thought it was quite difficult to talk about gay people and all as I'm one myself but no-one knows, but everything turned out okay!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

glad you did alright. congrats :!:
    "I wanna get out of here..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12