Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not 'bout Ellen, but I can use some help..

Ellen-Fan
    Zeist, in a far away country called....Holland..
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Not 'bout Ellen, but I can use some help..

As some of you might know, I'm having a school presentation about the song Tuesday Morning by Melissa Etheridge. Now I have some questions about the lyrics, about dubble meanings and stuff. Is anybody willing to help?? I'll post the lyrics over here:

Tuesday Morning- Melissa Etheridge

Up and down this road I go
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

10:03 on a Tuesday morning
    In the fall of an American dream
    A man is doing what he knows is right
    On flight 93
    He loved his mom and he loved his dad
    He loved his home and he loved his man
    But on that bloody Tuesday morning
    He died an American

Now you cannot change this
    You can't erase this
    You can't pretend this is not the truth

Even though he could not marry
    Or teach your children in our schools
    Because who he wants to love
    Is breaking your Gods' rules
    He stood up on a Tuesday morning
    In the terror he was brave
    And he made his choice
    And without a doubt
    A hundred lives he must have saved

And the things you might take for granted
    Your inalienable rights
    Some might chose to deny him
    Even though he gave his life
    Can you live with yourself in the land of the free
    And make him less of a hero than the other three
    Well it might begin to change ya
    In a field in Pennsylvania

Stand up America
    Hear the bell now as it tolls
    Wake up America
    It's Tuesday morning
    Come on let's roll

Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

What is meant by that??

On flight 93 This was the number of the plane that was trying to prevent a terrorist airplane from flying into the Pentagon, right?

And he made his choice Which choice does she mean?

In a field in Pennsylvania Is this the place where the Pentagon is situated??

Wake up America
    It's Tuesday morning
    Come on let's roll

I don't really get this part. Can someone explain??

thanx in advance!!
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

"Be Strong, Speak True, and Spread the Peace"-MLE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44
    I dont really know that one myself. I dont ever even really hear those lyrics anyway!! lol!

On flight 93 This was the number of the plane that was trying to prevent a terrorist airplane from flying into the Pentagon, right?
    Flight 93 was the flight that the guy 'Mark Bingham' was on. (Thats who melissa wrote the song about). It was supposed to be going from Newark in New Jersey to San Fransisco, but was forced off its usual course. Its not exactly known where this plane's target was, but one idea is that it was heading for Camp David. A group of people on the plane, including Mark, decided to take on the hijackers to bring the plane to the ground before they did hit anything. In other words they were willing to give up their own lives in order to save some on the ground. There's a website about flight 93 here if you want a look. theres some stuff about Mark on there as he apparently phoned his mother from the aeroplane.

And he made his choice Which choice does she mean?
    The choice that he and some others on that flight made to get up and do something about the hijackers. He chose to be brave, knowing that he was giving his own life, because he thought the plane could do a lot of damage if it was to hit something.

In a field in Pennsylvania Is this the place where the Pentagon is situated??
    No, thats where the plane was brought down. Instead of it reaching a target which could have had a lot of people and proved fatal, the people on the plane managed to take over and crash it into a field in Pennsylvania.

Wake up America
    It's Tuesday morning
    Come on let's roll
    I think thats talking about the fact that America needs to wake up and move on. Mark was gay, and he gave his life to save hundreds of others, but yet his partner doesnt have the same rights as the wives of the other brave men. And even when he was alive, he was denied so much simply because he was gay.

Thats my take on it anyways
    Have you heard that last line "come on, lets roll" live, laura??? even on the Lucky dvd? Its so chilling. A friend of mine saw a Lucky concert in New York and there was utter silence and tears flowing during that song. So moving.
    ~~~ Just Keep Swimming ~~~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think I can help a bit....

On flight 93 : On Sept. 11 United Airlines Flight 93 was travelling from New Jersey to San Francisco. It was hijacked by 4 hijackers. It is assumed that the hijackers intended to crash the plane into whitehouse, however several passengers on the plane grouped together and stormed the cockpit. They forced the plane to crash into an empty field instead of a building.

In a field in Pennsylvania: the plane crashed in an empty field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Wake up America
    It's Tuesday morning
    Come on let's roll : It is reported that after the group of passengers from the plane grouped together and made their choice to storm the cockpit, they initiated the assault after one of the passengers said "Let's Roll", and they all went. It has also been reported that a passenger was heard in the cockpit during the assault yelling "Roll It".

And he made his choice: The song is a dedication to Mark Bingham, one of the passengers who stormed the cockpit. I think here she means that he made his choice to intervene and do something about the hijacking - and as a result he saved the lives of all the people who may have been in whatever building they were intended to hit. He made his choice to do something very brave, and he became a hero.

Here is a quote of Melissa Etheridge I found on the Mark Binham tribute website about the song: "Of course I was affected by 9/11 as most Americans were, and I remember reading one of our popular magazins over here called “People”. They were talking about the four men from Flight 93 that brought the plane down, and they mentioned Mark Bingham, a gay man, and I didn’t know this, this was news to me, I was moved, one of four man was a strong and smart gay man that helped and saved many lives. I saw how that story unfolded in our society, and how our government handled the benefits of the survivors, the families of 9/11, and how the partners received no compensation because they weren’t recognized by our government, and it’s just a growing discrepancy in our society’s refusal to acknowledge homosexual relations, so I sort of put this up to my country, and say “Hey come on now, here is something that matters to all of us, here’s a hero from our community” to show that we are contributing members to this society, it is time to step up and move on."

hope that helps...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It is reported that after the group of passengers from the plane grouped together and made their choice to storm the cockpit, they initiated the assault after one of the passengers said "Let's Roll", and they all went.
    ohh yeah, i remember reading about that too. Maybe it has a wee bit of a mixed meaning in the song?
    ~~~ Just Keep Swimming ~~~

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

[ohh yeah, i remember reading about that too. Maybe it has a wee bit of a mixed meaning in the song?]

I think you are right. That's what makes Melissa so brilliant!

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

thanx guys for your responds. It really helped me understanding the song better. Thanx!!!
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The part that says:
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

It was taken from an old gospel song from the 60's about civil rights.

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by judo56
    The part that says:
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

Yeah I know that, by Ella Jenkins I thought, but what does she mean with that last sentence 'from a 44'??

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

While I don't mean to detract anything from the passengers who lost their lives in this senseless tragedy, didn't the black box reveal otherwise, meaning that the passengers did not storm the cockpit, as previously thought? I'm confused between the relatively recent accounts on the news & what is on the Website.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laura123
    Quote Originally Posted by judo56
    The part that says:
    Skippin' and dodgin'
    From a 44

Yeah I know that, by Ella Jenkins I thought, but what does she mean with that last sentence 'from a 44'??
    I think a 44 is a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast