Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone see a trend

Ellen-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by IfMyWallsCouldTalk
    Was Ellen heartbroken? Sadness. I am definetly a Newbie. . .
    vvCarol Marievv
    Yep , this is part os an old interview where she talks about that

Your girlfriend Kat died in a car accident in 1980. You actually drove by the accident but didn’t know it was her. Then you went on to use your pain over that experience in your breakthrough stand-up monologue “Phone Call to God.” What was it like having to perform that monologue from the closet, knowing it was about the death of a woman you loved—yet having to refer to her as your “friend”?

[Sighs] I had seen her right before the accident too. The most horrible part of it was, she was cheating on me and we were living together. I moved out to teach her a lesson, thinking that I’d go back. So I was staying with someone else at the time. My brother’s band was performing that night, and I saw her at the club. It was really loud, and she kept saying, “When are you going to come home?” And I kept acting like I couldn’t hear her, like the music was too loud. She left first, and then I left. We drove past the accident she was in.

You didn’t know, so you didn’t stop?
    It had just happened, and the car was split in two. The sirens were behind us. We slowed down and said, “Jesus! Look at that!” And we kept going. And the next morning at 6 A.M. her sister came to the house where I was staying and said, “Kat died last night.” When she told me where, I realized that I was there.

Oh, Ellen…
    And she said she was alive for three hours and she didn’t have ID on her so they couldn’t call. And I was like, “She was alive. I could’ve been there.” My mind was so full of so many things: If I had just gone home with her that night. If I wouldn’t have been such an asshole.

How did you deal with this?
    I moved out of our house and was in this tiny, tiny basement apartment, and it was infested with fleas. And I just kept thinking, Why are fleas here and this beautiful girl is gone? I don’t understand this. So I just started writing what it would be like to call and ask God why fleas are here. And it just came out in comedy in ten minutes, and I thought, I’m doing this on The Tonight Show, and Johnny Carson is going to call me over, and I’m going to be the first woman in the history of the show to be called over on the first appearance. And I was. So I think about her a lot. I used to think about her when I would do that monologue. I’d think, Wow. Where did that come from?

OMG,
    That is really sad. Do you have any stories about Ellen talking about being gay? Like Openly? I want to know what she thinks!
    Thanks!
    vvCarolMarievv

Wow! I had no idea that was the full story, I knew that Kat had died in the accident, but I had no idea what she meant to ellen. Thats really sad - I well at least ellen is happy now...

Ellen-Fan

Here you can read the full interview:
    http://www.advocate.com/html/stories..._cvr_ellen.asp

Same here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12