Thread: Break up with Alex

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Break up with Alex

First of all, I realize that it is none of my business why Ellen and Alex broke up. And I am not the type to believe speculation and rumors without proof (that proof being hearing it with my own two ears from either Ellen or Alex themselves). That said.. since it is obvious we shall never know the true cause of the break up, I am comfortable letting my curiousity rest and let nature take its course, praying for the best that is..

However, I cannot help but feel just a little disappointed in their breakup. When Ellen came out in '97, not only did she become hero and role model to gays, lesbians, and bisexuals the world over, but she also became the epitome and personification of gay relationships to critics of our lifestyle. I know, as well as all the other smart people in our society, that it is silly to have Ellen's relationships symbolize them all, but I also know, living in the Bible Belt South, that it happens and is not all that rare. With the great debate going on in the US about gay marriage and the stupid amendment our stupid president is insistant on pushing, all gay relationships are being put under the microscope and famous couples (Ellen/Alex) are being scrutinized with more vigor than ever before.

I'm disappointed, not with Ellen and Alex so much as with those small minded bigots, that now can use her as ammo.. They can use her as an yet another senseless example of why gay and lesbian couples should be refused those basic rights such as marriage. As a fan of Ellen, it hurts me tremendously that the-powers-that-be would use her in such a way..

I was really rooting for them to stick together for the sake of romance but also so that its not thrown in all of our faces that, as far as Hollywood is concerned, lesbian/gay relationships rarely work out

Okay.. I've finished my rant..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well put...
    Belacb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Just a little disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyscbstr
    However, I cannot help but feel just a little disappointed in their breakup. When Ellen came out in '97, not only did she become hero and role model to gays, lesbians, and bisexuals the world over, but she also became the epitome and personification of gay relationships to critics of our lifestyle
    I cant help but say she became a hero to everyone. Not just "gays, lesbians, and bisexuals". Straight people to. She showed people to be true to themselves, honesty what not. I respect your opinion but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I was only trying to avoid generalizations.. sure, yeah I agree that some straight people look up to Ellen as a role model too.. I don't doubt that.. but, if I had said that, it would have included every heterosexual and I know, as do we all, that it isn't true.. however, I can see how unfair it was to generalize in the other direction in that no straight people look up to Ellen, and I'm sorry...

But anyway.. thanks for posting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm disappointed, not with Ellen and Alex so much as with those small minded bigots, that now can use her as ammo..
    Hello scooby, thank you for your post.
    I can understand that people fear that the (any) conduct (and breakups etc) of openly gay public figures may affect the way the world - and especially bigots - judges gays in general.
    But believe me, a real bigot doesn't need ammo in order to stay a bigot.
    A bigot doesn't care about what a person is really about. They don't care if they do good things or are in fact good people. They already are convinced the people they don't like (or are afraid of) are bad people. And yes, any ammo would be welcome there, but giving them no ammo wouldn't have made a difference at all.
    If you'd give them a mother Theresa speaking a few words of love and compassion for the gay children of God, these bigots would then stone Mother Theresa.
    Know what I mean?

I recently landed in a republican forum by accident. And I was utterly shocked by what was being said by some (not all). But it did underline my belief as written above.

But you know, on the other hand: there's also a lot of people out there who are alright. Maybe some of them don't like "the gay thing" being in their faces all the time. But somehow I believe most of them wouldn't really be bothered by any break up story in that respect - straight or gay. Not even if there is a bit of a scandal involved. They read about it all the time. They see break ups around them in their own environment all the time as well. Some of them think famous people have a little bit of a crazy twist anyway. They would maybe sigh, but wouldn't be bothered by it. They read the stories out of curiousity maybe, shake their heads maybe, but then proceed with their lives, going to the same movies they went to before and watching the same shows they watched before, with the same actors/public figures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The news of their break up was sad to me because Ellen seemed very happy with her life. Especially after what Anne Heche had done to her it was good to see her so happy with someone. Alex didn't seem to gravitate to the spot light, it seemed she was with Ellen because that was who she loved.

Forget the fact that they were two women in love, the important thing should be that they were IN LOVE. This is going to sound corney but; God's greatest gift to us was love, and the greatest gift we can give another person is our love for them. There's so much hate in the world, it was refreshing seeing love.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, I don't think they broke up because of Portia de Rossi. Something happened at least a month ago that caused them to split, (I think one wanted kids and the other didn't) Ellen seemed depressed on the shows recorded at the time of the break up (especially the Celine Dion ep.) that isn't the way someone acts when they cheated on their lover and are now with a "hot" blonde. If it was meant to be, they'll work out their issues and find eachother again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

thanks Monst83..
    I agree with you that Ellen did seem very happy with Alex, which brings back my curiosity a bit about what happened, but thats none of my business. So I can only hope, and pray, that whatever happened for whatever reason that it was for the best for both of them.

I have this innate need and desire to see everyone happy, which is another reason for my disappointment (sadness) because Ellen doesn't seem as happy.

but anyway, better go.. gotta get ready for work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hello everyone out there> This is Parksy from the UK.
    First post her so just getting use to the site
    Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I wish everyone a happy and safe new year celebration.
    As an avid Ellen fan I was distraught to hear the news as well. We do not get news as quickly as you in the US. I bought the Enquirier or whatever it is called so I could read the Streisand article. When I saw the Ellen article I nearly dropped my glass of wine !!
    Naturally this article lead to an internet website invasion for "the truth!!" and the same story on every site.
    What was I doing?
    I am a dedicated Ellen follower as she is a good example of a woman achieving in what is (sadly ) a mans world. She is rich and famous and everyone wants a piece of her. The fact that she is a lesbian just adds more excitement. The newspapers will have a field day for now but it is the shock factor we are all suffering from.
    Scoobyscbstr - I agree with your comment. I am not convinced ellen is very happy. Remember lust doesn't last .......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

thanks Monst83..
    I agree with you that Ellen did seem very happy with Alex, which brings back my curiosity a bit about what happened, but thats none of my business. So I can only hope, and pray, that whatever happened for whatever reason that it was for the best for both of them.

I have this innate need and desire to see everyone happy, which is another reason for my disappointment (sadness) because Ellen doesn't seem as happy.

but anyway, better go.. gotta get ready for work
    I couldn't have put it better myself!