Thread: Why 'Ellen' ended?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Why 'Ellen' ended?

My name is Linda and I'm from the Netherlands. I've just now joined this forum.
    I have a question....
    Since a few weeks we have the Ellen-Show on television. A show that is I think, very funny. The characters are well chosen and the show is humores.
    I like it the most when Ellen looks at her co-actors when they say something completaly idiotic.
    My questions is this.... Can anyone explane to me why this show flopped completely in the USA ??
    It realy just can't be because Ellen came out as a gay person, can it. I mean, Americans realy can not be that nerrow minded, can they?

I'm glad to hear that Ellen is doing great now as a talk-host.

Regards
    Linda Bloem

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Linda,

If you are talking about the programme where she owned a bookstore & always had friends over in her apartment, well, that show didn't flop, as such. It went over quite well until she & her character made their announcements in what I believe was the 5th season. Unfortunately, back then, everyone was still a tad skittish about gay storylines & it resulted in the writers not quite knowing what to do w/ the lead character. At the time, everyone thought it best to pull the plug on the series.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think maybe linda could be talking about "The Ellen Show" one.. the one that only ran for one season. I liked it too, but im not entirely sure why it didnt work. Maybe it is because it was so soon after the first sitcom and the 'coming out' and people still werent ready to see ellen back, but i think that the tv network also played a big part... that show never really did have a great time-slot, so didnt get great viewing numbers. (the episode that was just after the 2001 Emmys got pretty good numbers though!!)
    Who knows why though... it obviously just wasnt good enough to be kept up, according to the tv executives anyway. But she's back with the talkshow and its doing brilliant, so i guess everything happens for a reason!!!
    ~~~ Just Keep Swimming ~~~

Ellen-Fan
    Zeist, in a far away country called....Holland..
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tartanfan
    I think maybe linda could be talking about "The Ellen Show" one.. the one that only ran for one season. I liked it too, but im not entirely sure why it didnt work. Maybe it is because it was so soon after the first sitcom and the 'coming out' and people still werent ready to see ellen back, but i think that the tv network also played a big part... that show never really did have a great time-slot, so didnt get great viewing numbers. (the episode that was just after the 2001 Emmys got pretty good numbers though!!)
    Who knows why though... it obviously just wasnt good enough to be kept up, according to the tv executives anyway. But she's back with the talkshow and its doing brilliant, so i guess everything happens for a reason!!!
    as a fellow dutchie I think that's the one Linda means. Where Ellen works in a school, that one. I must say I don't really like it. Sure it's fun, but 'Ellen' is way cooler!! 8)
    "Never let go what you believe in. Do never let people make you think you're something you're not

"Be Strong, Speak True, and Spread the Peace"-MLE