Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEDS ratings. Season 2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default TEDS ratings. Season 2

I think there isn't a seperate thread about TEDS ratings yet. So, I took the liberty of starting one. Hopefully to be continued when new info has been found.

Reports on ratings published on the internet always are a bit behind, (unless you pay a lot of money for them, or unless the show is in the top 10 or 20 of an overall syndicated TV ratings listing). Especially talkshow ratings are hard to find in constant seperate listings. But here are some clear figures published in Sept and November 2004. And finally: the so-called Nielsen November sweep of 2004.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

medialife.com reported on sept 22:

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show” was the highest-rated new talk show in syndication with a 1.7 average household rating, and now season No. 2 is off to an even better beginning. The show averaged a 2.0 household rating the week ending Sept. 12, a 43 percent increase over its first-season debut week."

medialife.com reports on nov 10:

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show.” That second-year talk show was down 5 percent week-to-week with a 1.9 national rating, but that is still a 36 percent improvement over the same week last year.

mediaweek.com reports the final november sweep (season-to-date) reported on 03 Dec 2004:

-Talk Show Syndication Scorecard:
    Based on season to-date national household ratings through Nov. 21, 2004, King World's Oprah (7.8 ) remains on the rise, with a healthy 16 percent increase year-to-year. Second is King World's Dr. Phil (5.2, - 4 percent), followed by Buena Vista's Live! With Regis & Kelly (3.4, - 6), NBC Universal's Maury (2.9, - 6) and Paramount's Montel (2.3, - 4). Sixth, and sinking, is NBC Universal's Jerry Springer (2.1, -22), followed by Warner Bros.' growing The Ellen DeGeneres Show (1.9, +27), NBC Universal's The Jane Pauley Show (1.5), Buena Vista's The Tony Danza Show (1.3), NBC's Universal's Starting Over (1.1, +22), and its already axed Home Delivery (1.0). Ranking below a 1.0 rating is Twentieth Television's Good Day Live (0.8, -20), Sony Pictures Television's Pat Croce: Moving In and Warner Bros.' The Larry Elder Show (0.8 each), and Life and Style from Sony with a 0.5. That's plenty of talk!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS. recapulating:
    the 1.7 mentioned seems to be the average over the whole first season.
    The 2.0 are week-to-week ratings for the start of season2, ending Sept12 as mentioned.
    The 1.9 by medialife.com is about week-to-week ratings. It didn't say which week though, but since this was reported on nov 10 it might be the ratings for the last week of October.
    The 1.9 by mediaweek.com was about season-to-date.
    The difference between the "up 36 percent for 1.9" in medialife.com and the "up 27 percent for 1.9" in mediaweek.com is that in the week-to-week only THAT particular week is examined and compared to that same week last year, while in season-to-date THAT part of the season is compared to the same period last year.

PS2. ** A household Rating is the estimate of the size of a television audience relative to the total universe, expressed as a percentage. As of September 20, 2004, there are an estimated 109.6 million television households in the U.S. A single national household ratings point represents 1%, or 1,096,000 households.
    (source: Nielsen Media Research)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

A fresh week-to-week ratings message:

--------------
    Just in time for the holidays, "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" got a nice gift for the week ending Dec. 19. The syndicated talker averaged a 2.4 household rating -- its best weekly performance ever.

The rating for the sophomore talk show represents a 9% increase from the previous week, according to Nielsen Media Research data. "Ellen" also is up 50% compared with a year ago, which is the biggest year-to-year gain of any show in syndication.

(source:top5s.com)
    ----------------

Way to go Ellen!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Ellen

I am not up on these posts being in the UK, but I just hope that what is going on between Ellen, Alex and Portia has no affect on her show, like it did in 1997 with "Ellen". Regardless of her private live, she is a damned good comedienne and now proved to be a damned good chat show host after winning the award after her first season.

Her private live if her own and I wish her the best of luck with her show.

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by ellenstar
    I am not up on these posts being in the UK, but I just hope that what is going on between Ellen, Alex and Portia has no affect on her show, like it did in 1997 with "Ellen". Regardless of her private live, she is a damned good comedienne and now proved to be a damned good chat show host after winning the award after her first season.

Her private live if her own and I wish her the best of luck with her show.
    Totally true. No one would wish professional harm upon Ellen, nor any hard working entertainer, for that matter. I just hope that fans can seperate the personal (for which no answers can be gleaned) & the professional that is out there for all eyes.

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

as we are in season 2, anychance of it coming to dvd? that would be awsome, you dont tend to do that with talkshows i spose.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Sorry, I never heard about talkshows being put on dvd for normal sales in shops. Unless they're golden oldies, like highlights of the Johnny Carson show. Which I saw on amazon.com the orher day. (I've got an inkling that Ellen's first performance on the JCS might be on there somewhere though, 'cause these dvd's turned up when I typed in degeneres in the search. But then she was mentioned nowhere in the "more info" area).

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

oh shame, thanks anyway!
    ~NYCKIE~
    IMAGE to big!
    'Please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

on Jan 4th, USAToday has published a comparative list of syndicated talkshows. Season-to-date average, viewers in millions:

Spotlight: Top syndicated talks hows
    Show -------- Viewers in millions
    1. Oprah ---------------------- 9.5
    2. Dr. Phil --------------------- 6.6
    3. Live with Regis and Kelly - 4.4
    4. Maury ---------------------- 3.7
    5. Montel Williams ------------3.0
    6. Jerry Springer ------------ 2.6
    7. Ellen DeGeneres ---------- 2.4
    8. Jane Pauley ----------------1.8
    9. Tony Danza ----------------1.5
    10. Larry Elder --------------- 1.0

(Source: Nielsen Media Research, Dec. 20-26)

Ellen-Fan
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

if ellen came to the uk, her veiwings would be doubled! *cough* because we have a bigger populatation than America *cough*
    ~NYCKIE~
    IMAGE to big!
    'Please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I think there is something seriously wrong with our society if more people watch Jerry Springer than Ellen....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast