Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: megaupload shutdown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by palafka View Post
    I wonder if it has happened because this case with ACTA. Do you have (in your country) the same problem with this crazy document? My government is going to sign ACTA on Thursday and i am freaking out now
    For those who want to know more, ACTA explained here, here, and here.
    GloubiBoulga...................................Visit My Blog

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Filesonic and Upload.to shut down following MEGAUPLOAD...

http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rc...bGjk2FRkhC3QuQ

"And when the rest of the world walks away ... I'll still be here".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Luckily Sidereel is still there. But I guess there Megaupload/video links won't be.
    "Can you take these off?"
    "You take it off"
    "The other one" "No, really?"
    "See, i 'm taller then her"
    "Can I have my shoe back now?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I used megaupload a lot, mostly to upload TEDS videos
    mariana

Always the years, always the love, always... the hours...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Rapidshare

In case you're wondering what's wrong with RS lately, here's the thing:

More about it in here: Rapidshare download speed up to 30 kb/s

"It is not clear why Rapidshare has made the changes. Some users suspected that the company wants to drive more users into signing up for premium accounts, others that users from Megaupload and other file hosting sites that went out of business have caused to much strain on the Rapidshare servers. The effect however is that the site is barely if at all usable anymore if you are a free user."

Unfortunately, that's true From my experience, since yesterday, if you're trying to download something as a free user:
    - your download may stop after ~20MB
    - it is very slow ~30% an hour of 350MB file
    - it is difficult to download full file (for ex. you can get like 95% and that's it!)
    - sometimes it takes multiple attempts to download 1 file! (if at all - see above)
    All in all, I managed to get 1 full file and it took about 4h! (After 12 h! of trying with different files)

Just to give you heads up - it's not your computer or internet speed - it's RS new download limit for free users

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hey,
    it's so sas that megaupload is down
    i think a lot of us really liked it and used it....because it wasn't totally illegal!! personally I used it to share my own data with friends....

so I was just searching the web for a good alternative as rapidshare got this new speed limit etc....
    I found sth quite interesting. It's called Audials Light (freeware) and has a function Audials Anywhere which allows you to connect you PC with a friends and by that access his/her media collection and get it always synced....You got the possibility to invite as many friends as you want and so build up a strong network...
    Check it out here: http://www.personalmediacloud.com

Don't you think that could be a good alternative??
    Would be glad to hear about your experiences with such invite-platforms....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I would suggest being cautious with it.

They are making the legal argument that it is fair use, like a VCR.

I'm not a lawyer and it may well be true, but it isn't impossible that some of the sites that are presumably streaming music or what not might have legal limits on the use of what is being streamed.
    James

Is it just me or do you hear the sound of tweets too? Do YouTube? What about facing a book?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Didn't think about that. I got the point....
    So it is again like with MegaUpload: if it is legal or illegal depends totally on how you use it....

nevertheless as I understood this Audials Anywhere thing, you can not only share the streamed music and stuff but also do this with your e.g. music collection you bought and saved on your PC...

and that's legal isn't it? I mean you are allowed to share your music with friends, aren't you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

They say on the site that it doesn't do file sharing because that is illegal.

I imagine a lot of this varies from country to country.

I'm a programmer, not a lawyer, so I don't really know what can and can't be done.

How you use things always makes a big difference in the legality.

Mind you, record labels would rather you were required to buy a copy of a song for each and every device you own, where Apple, for instance, lets you put music on all your iPods with a single purchase.

I would suggest considering what is fair to the people that created the content. If you like the work, buy a copy so they can afford to make more. Don't share it unless the other person can't get it otherwise.

I make a living from creating something that is quite easy to duplicate as well. Remember creating a song or TV show isn't easy and requires the effort of a lot of people who depend on the sales of that content to feed their families and support their work.
    James

Is it just me or do you hear the sound of tweets too? Do YouTube? What about facing a book?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thank you so much for your reply and your advice!

Sometimes for me it isn't that easy to thoroughly understand all the complexity of those platforms like MegaUpload or Audials or whatever...and you often just don't think about what it means for the artists or other people affected.....

anyways I think such a personal media cloud could be good to share things you created yourself....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12